Are you wondering how to create the most flavorful and moist turkey this Thanksgiving? Dry brine is the answer. Try our seasoning as a dry rub to add flavor to your turkey.
Let us go over a few essential steps before diving into using Noubess seasonings and spices to dry brine your turkey.
How to pick the right turkey
Not all turkeys are the same! Now that we have concluded that not all turkeys are the same, it is time to share a few pieces of advice. We cannot tell you what turkey brand to buy, but we can tell you that fresh, free-range,” “free-roaming,” or “cage-free” have better taste. We will ask you to buy whatever your budget allows. But here are a few points to pay attention to.
- If you can buy all-natural turkey; meaning that the packaging must list those three words.
- Check the ingredients list to find out how the bird was processed.
- Look for a turkey with a well-rounded breast
- Check the weight and size of the bird. (the turkey must be able to fit your roaster.)
- Buy the turkey early so you can have plenty of time for defrosting and brining.
How to use our seasonings to dry brine the turkey
Dry brining is easy with our seasonings. You can choose to use one single bag of seasoning or select multiple and create a unique blend. Here are the seasonings blends you can choose from to season your turkey.
- Cajun Seasoning, Salt-Free
- Adobo Seasoning, Salt-Free
- Poultry Seasoning, Salt-Free
- Garlic and Herbs Seasoning
- Jerk Seasoning, Salt-Free
You can use any of the seasonings above by themselves or create a blend. Here are a few ideas for unique ideas for blends for ultimate flavor.
Additional ingredients necessary
Additional ingredients necessary
- Extra Virgin oil to mix the seasoning
- Lemon wedges: to place inside the cavity of the turkey
- Fresh Parsley and Fresh Thyme, optional – the breasts of the turkey are large. Fresh parsley and fresh thyme sprigs will add more flavor.
- 1 onion quartered to stuff inside the cavity.
- Salt, add enough or none if you are on a low sodium diet. But we will suggest creating a sauce such as a Creole Sauce with the liquid from the roasting pan.
How to prepare the turkey for roasting
Assuming you start with a fresh or thoroughly thawed turkey, generally, a turkey needs to cook for 15 minutes per pound. After creating the seasoning blend, cleaning the turkey, and thoroughly drying it, it is ready for brining.
How to Roast a Turkey
- 10 pounds: 2 hrs 15 min
- 12 pound: 2 hrs 35-45 minutes
- 14 pounds: 3 hrs
- 16 pound: 3 hrs 15-20 min
- 18 pound: 3 hrs 45-55 min
- 20 pounds: 4 hrs 15-20 min
Here’s a recipe idea for your next dry brine roasted turkey
- 10-12 pounds of a whole turkey
- 2 lemons quartered
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 tablespoons Adobo Seasoning, Salt-Free
- 2 tablespoons Steak Seasoning, Salt-Free
- 2 tablespoons Beau Monde Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Mix together the melted butter or oil, seasoning blend of choice, and salt.
- Slather the seasoning mixture all over the turkey and inside out. Place the fresh herbs and lemon in the cavity.
- Either place the turkey in the refrigerator overnight (or 24 – 72) so the flavors of the seasoning blend can have time to penetrate the flesh of the turkey.
- When ready to roast, Place the turkey in a roasting pan and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes covered with an aluminum foil tent. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue roasting, basting the turkey every 30 – 45 minutes with the juice from the pan, for about 3 hours or more depending on the size of the turkey.
- Remove the foil tent and continue to cook and baste until the turkey is fully cooked for about 30 – 45 minutes.
- The turkey is done when a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the turkey thigh registers 165 degrees F. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, pierce the breast meat with a sharp knife. The turkey juices should run clear, and not pink.
- If the turkey seems like it’s getting too brown during the cooking process, cover it with foil.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let the turkey rest for 25 minutes. Slice, then serve with your favorite side dishes.